Neuroscience & Stroke
About Stroke Accreditation
Should you pay attention to "accredited” or “certified” hospital programs? Yes! Accreditation of a hospital program involves meeting or exceeding stringent guidelines and having both the expertise on staff and the multiple resources necessary to treat a wide variety of medical conditions.
St. Anthony’s Medical Center was one of only five hospitals in the St. Louis area and one of ten hospitals in Missouri to be named a Level 1 Stroke Center, the highest designation, when the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services began the new designations for stroke care.
Rapid Response for Stroke
As a Level 1 Stroke Center, St. Anthony's Medical Center has demonstrated effective coordination of the expertise, protocols and advanced technology that ensure swift diagnosis and treatment. Our stroke team springs into action often before a patient with stroke symptoms arrives by ambulance. Within minutes of arrival an emergency physician examines the patient and a CT scan of the head is performed. The stroke team then reviews all the information and promptly initiates appropriate treatment. This teamwork can make a lifesaving difference.
The Right Staff for Stroke
St. Anthony’s Medical Center is one of a few elite medical facilities to offer around-the-clock care from a specialized stroke team. Our team, supported by specially trained neuro nurses and emergency nurses, includes neurologists, neurosurgeons, interventional radiologists, physiatrists, and emergency physicians – all board-certified and well-respected in their fields.
Complete Stroke Care
At St. Anthony’s Medical Center, stroke care begins in the Emergency Department and continues through inpatient hospitalization, rehabilitation, stroke prevention and education, and follow-up services, such as home care and outpatient therapy. Advanced diagnostics, breakthrough procedures and frontline technologies promote better care and healthier outcomes.
Neuroscience & Stroke Feature Stories
- Pressure relieved: Arnold resident back to normal after brain tumor surgery
- Back to normal: Mehlville resident back to exploring after spinal surgery
- Pilot off to new adventures after back surgery
- Getting back to normal
- Stroke Recovery is in the Cards
- One Step at a Time
- P.E. Teacher is REBOUNDING After Stroke
- Back to Normal in ONE Hour
- Level One Stroke Center Designation Means Top-Notch Care
- Video System Speeds Stroke Care
Neuroscience & Stroke News
- Nurses Chosen as Finalists for March of Dimes Nurse of the Year10/16/2017
- Recovering from a Concussion05/30/2017
- American Stroke Association honors St. Anthony’s with Gold Plus Award for stroke care05/18/2017
- Speech Therapy treats more than just speech05/09/2017
- St. Anthony’s Adds Stroke Rehab Accreditation01/12/2017