Emergency Department and Level II Trauma Center
“We treat all people, at all times, from every circumstance. The work we do is very special and it’s something we can all be proud of.”
-- Zachary Tebb, M.D., Medical Director of the Emergency Department
Your shared stories
Your notes from the heart
Emergency services extras
Emergency services in the news
ideo | udio | ews
Emergency services and features
St. Anthony's Medical Center has complex trauma, heart and stroke centers you won’t find anywhere else in South County. You'll also find professional, compassionate staff dedicated solely to improving your experience and your outcome. It's all at the Emergency Department at St. Anthony’s Medical Center. Here, in your own backyard.
The Emergency Department at St. Anthony's Medical Center:
- has undergone a transformation in patient care that has reduced wait times to see a doctor to an average of 22 minutes. Learn more about this transformation.
- is a designated Level II Trauma Center – the only one in South St. Louis County and Jefferson County. Resources available to manage the care of critically injured patients at all times.
- is the fourth-busiest Emergency Department in the St. Louis region and the sixth-busiest in Missouri, with 69,947 visits in fiscal year 2013.
- is one of only a few hospitals in the St. Louis metro area a designated as a Level I Stroke Center.
- serves 26 Emergency Medical Service (EMS) districts, six of which are supervised directly by St. Anthony’s Medical Center.
- operates, in conjunction with Cardinal Glennon Children’s Medical Center, a Pediatric Emergency Department adjacent to the main Emergency Department.
ED care that makes the difference:
- St. Anthony’s Emergency Department handles more ambulance traffic per day than any other care provider in the South County region. Our team, including 10 paramedics on our ED staff, works hand in hand with EMS crews.
- St. Anthony’s emergency physicians are board-certified and trained in emergency medicine, these physicians live and practice in the St. Louis area.
- On call 24-7 are Certified Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE). They are registered nurses specially trained to provide comprehensive, uninterrupted care to sexual assault survivors, including the collection of forensic evidence.
- The Time-Critical Diagnosis Team provides skilled care for our sickest patients. Triage nurses and medics are specially trained to evaluate trauma, stroke and heart attack patients’ needs quickly and begin treatment.
- Our umbrella of care is far-reaching. Emergency Department staffers work closely with St. Anthony’s four urgent care centers and numerous St. Anthony’s clinicians, reserving the resources necessary to treat arriving patients.
- 43 state-of-the-art treatment rooms
- Fast Track suite for patients with non-life-threatening conditions
- latest computer technology, providing instant access to patient information
- valet parking daily, from 6 a.m. to midnight
- 24-hour security
- hazardous materials decontamination facility
- separate entrances for ambulance and walk-in patients
The Emergency Department at St. Anthony’s Medical Center is a designated Level II Trauma Center, the only one in the South County area. It’s staffed by highly skilled physicians, nurses and other staff uniquely trained in the care and treatment of all degrees of medical emergency.
A Level II designation means St. Anthony’s:
- has the resources needed to manage care of severely injured patients at all times.
- nurses in the Emergency Department, Operating Room and Intensive Care Unit receive special training in the care of severely injured trauma patients.
- emergency physicians are available immediately and are prepared to deal with trauma 24 hours a day. Trauma surgeons, neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons and other highly skilled specialists are on call and ready to respond when needed.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.