South County Emergency and Trauma Department
Door-to-doc average wait times less than 30 minutes.
Your shared stories
Your notes from the heart
Emergency services extras
Emergency services in the news
ideo | udio | ews
When confronted with a medical emergency, you want to receive fast, thorough, professional and compassionate care when you arrive at the Emergency Department.
That’s why St. Anthony’s team has transformed the way you are cared for in the Emergency Department. That quest for excellence continues today. Backed by trauma, stroke and chest pain accreditations and first-class emergency capabilities, we strive to provide the ideal Emergency Department experience to patients and their families.
Receive enhanced quality of care
Wait less than 30 minutes, on average, to see a doctor
- The Time-Critical Diagnosis Team provides skilled care for our sickest patients. Triage nurses and medics are specially trained to evaluate trauma, stroke and heart attack patients’ needs quickly and begin treatment.
- Additional nurses, physician assistants and other staff members are available to improve the triage process and increase the quality of care. An emergency room bed never should be sitting empty while patients are in the waiting room.
- The EMS and Patient Flow Communications Center allows ED staff and doctors to assess and prepare for each patients’ needs before they arrive at the Emergency Department.
- Emergency Department physicians use specially trained scribes, which allow them to spend more quality time at the patient’s bedside.
- A pediatric emergency department operated by St. Anthony’s and Cardinal Glennon Children’s Medical Center is adjacent to the main emergency department.
Communication, technology are key components
- The EMS and Patient Flow Communications Center allows ED staff and doctors to receive EKGs, photos and videos from emergency crews and send them immediately to cardiologists and physicians for viewing on their smartphones.
- Emergency Department Patient Advocates ensure effective communication among patients and staff on the care being given.
- Caregivers use the latest technology, including e-fax patient care summaries and secured text messaging, to improve communications with the patient’s primary care physician.
- St. Anthony’s electronic medical records system allows caregivers to access records and charts from outside the hospital system.
- QlikView, a software tool for data analysis, is helping staff to decrease unneeded waits by synchronizing resource scheduling and consolidating data.
Not critically ill? Get on the Fast Track!
Patients with non-life-threatening conditions are Fast Tracked to a special eight-room suite in the Emergency Department, overseen by nurses and physician assistants dedicated solely to help patients receive quality care more quickly. In the past, if a patient came to the Emergency Department with, for example, ankle pain, treatment might be delayed if another patient suffering a heart attack or trauma from a severe accident arrived at the same time. Now, when patients come with non-life-threatening conditions, they can be confident of receiving prompt and thorough care in the Fast Track suite.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.