Wound care & hyperbaric medicine
Your shared stories
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
Imagine diving to under-water pressure levels to be treated for problem wounds. No, not as an deep sea diver, but as a patient receiving hyperbaric oxygen therapy inside a hyperbaric chamber that mimics changes in atmospheric pressure.
St. Anthony’s Medical Center’s Wound Care & Hyperbaric Medicine has two state-of-the-art hyperbaric oxygen chambers. The chambers deliver 10 to 15 times more oxygen than the normal atmosphere. The pressurized hyperbaric oxygen therapy decreases swelling and inflammation, while promoting the development of new blood vessels and improving the rate of healing.
Among the conditions treated with hyperbaric oxygen therapy are:
- serious or limb-threatening diabetic wounds of the foot or lower leg
- bone infections that have not cleared despite convention care
- injured or occluded arteries
- radiation tissue injury
- compromised skin grafts and flaps
- severe skin infections due to flesh-eating micro-organisms
- crush injuries
About hyperbaric oxygen therapy
Prior to hyperbaric oxygen therapy, patients are:
- evaluated to develop an safe and effective treatment plan,
- checked for circulation or neurological issues, culture wounds to determine the type and extent of any infectious disease, and
- assigned a dedicated physician and case manager to coordinate care throughout the healing process.
Multi-specialty care is supplemented with extensive patient education. The result — patient outcomes exceed national averages for wound healing, with an overall patient satisfaction rate of 96 percent. The success of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in treating chronic wounds has led to an increasing demand for services at the Wound Treatment Center, resulting in an expansion from four to seven treatment rooms.
St. Anthony's hyperbaric chambers:
- is the largest monoplace chambers available in the St. Louis metro area
- helps minimize patient claustrophobia
- allows patients to sit up or recline while inside
- allows patients to view television or DVDs, or listen to CDs
Treatment team includes
- plastic surgeons
- vascular physicians
- infectious diseases specialists
- nurses certified in advanced wound care
- undersea and hyperbaric medicine physician
To start feeling better
- Call 314-525-1798 to make an appointment, or ask your doctor to contact us.
- Bring a list of your allergies and medications.
- Bring your insurance card. Many health plans cover wound care treatment. Coverage depends on your specific plan and any necessary referrals and/or authorizations that your plan may specify. Be sure to bring your insurance card and any other necessary paperwork when you visit the center.
Wound Care & Hyperbaric Medicine
12700 Southfork Road, Suite 175
St. Anthony’s Medical Plaza
See maps and directions
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.