Our NEW South County Emergency and Trauma Department
Workmen build the circular structure over the main desk in ED admitting.
Emergency services extras
Emergency services in the news
ideo | udio | ews
The doctors, nurses, caregivers and coworkers from departments throughout St. Anthony's Medical Center have created the ideal Emergency Department experience for our patients and their families. We've made improvements to the bricks-and-mortar facilities, internal communications, technology and the way a patient moves through the system.
Improvements you'll love
1. It takes less time for patients to see a physician. Our wait times to see a doctor now average 24 minutes - 5 times better than one year ago.
How we did it: Through physical remodeling and improvements to the patient-flow processes. More about our reduced wait time.
2. Patients will have more quality time with the physician, family members will receive updates on the patient's progress and the primary care physician will get a summary of the emergency visit. This way everyone is aware of the kind of care being given and what needs to be done to continue that care once the patient leaves.
How we did it: Hired additional staff, including new patient advocates who help communicate with the patient and their families; and upgraded our communication technology systems. More about our improved patient experience.
All the physical renovations, technology upgrades and improved staffing was done while maintaining our exceptionally high level of capabilities, including our Level II Trauma Center, Accredited Stroke Center and pediatric emergency care. This means you can take comfort in knowing St. Anthony’s staff and physicians have the highest level of capabilities to care for you no matter what brings you to the Emergency Department.
- St. Anthony’s Medical Center is the only Level II Trauma Center in South St. Louis County and Jefferson County. This means we have the resources available to manage the care of critically injured patients at all times.
- St. Anthony’s is one of the few hospitals in the St. Louis area to be certified as a Level 1 Stroke Center, the highest level of stroke care available as accredited by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services.
- St. Anthony’s Emergency Department is the fourth busiest Emergency Department in the St. Louis region and the sixth busiest in the state of Missouri.
- In fiscal year 2013, St. Anthony’s Emergency Department had 69,947 visits.
- St. Anthony’s Emergency Department serves 26 Emergency Medical Service (EMS) districts, of which 6 are supervised by St. Anthony’s Medical Center.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.