Tiffani Haag, RN, BSN, orthopedic nurse educator, demonstrates how to use a spirometer to maintain lung function after surgery.
Total Joint Replacement Education
St. Anthony's orthopedic services offers free total joint replacement classes to help prepare you for surgery. The two-hour class outlines exactly what patients can expect from pre-op to discharge, including:
- what to bring to the hospital
- each step of the surgical process
- who will be involved in providing care
- types of equipment used
- what to expect during the hospital stay
- Pre-Operative Total Knee Program
- Pre-Operative Total Hip Program
- Combined Pre-Operative Total Knee and Total Hip Program
Classes rotate and are held on Tuesdays from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. in the Ortho-Spine Center’s therapy classroom on the 3rd floor of the main hospital. See interactive map.
To register or to find specific dates, call 800-554-9550. Participants are asked to bring a list of your current medications to class.
Total Joint Care Educational Team
In addition to the class instructor:
- A physical therapist will discuss both in-hospital and home exercises, recommendations for equipment needed at home and precautions.
- An occupational therapist will describe how participants can practice kitchen and bathroom tasks and the necessary adaptations to avoid pain and maintain precautions.
- A case manager (social worker) will discuss the process of discharge planning and explore post-hospital needs. Resources covered through insurance, medical directives and Advanced Directives will be discussed.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
At St. Anthony's, our vision is to be the area's premier health care organization
— and your first choice for health care services.