Tiffani Haag, RN, BSN, orthopedic nurse educator, demonstrates how to use a spirometer to maintain lung function after surgery.
Your shared stories
Total joint replacement education
St. Anthony's orthopedic services offers free total joint replacement classes to help prepare you for surgery. The two-hour class outlines exactly what patients can expect from pre-operation to discharge, including:
- what to bring to the hospital
- each step of the surgical process
- who will be involved in providing care
- types of equipment used
- what to expect during the hospital stay
- Pre-Operative Total Knee Program
- Pre-Operative Total Hip Program
- Combined Pre-Operative Total Knee and Total Hip Program
Classes rotate and are held on Tuesdays from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. in the Ortho-Spine Center’s therapy classroom on the 3rd floor of the main hospital. See interactive map.
To register or to find specific dates, call 800-554-9550. Participants are asked to bring a list of your current medications to class.
Total joint care educational team
In addition to the class instructor:
- A physical therapist will discuss both in-hospital and home exercises, recommendations for equipment needed at home and precautions.
- An occupational therapist will describe how participants can practice kitchen and bathroom tasks and the necessary adaptations to avoid pain and maintain precautions.
- A case manager (social worker) will discuss the process of discharge planning and explore post-hospital needs. Resources covered through insurance, medical directives and Advanced Directives will be discussed.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.