Emergency and Trauma Services
Transforming Your Experience
When confronted with a medical emergency, you want to receive fast, thorough, professional and compassionate care when you arrive at the Emergency Department.
That’s why St. Anthony’s team has transformed the way you are cared for in the Emergency Department. That quest for excellence continues today. Backed by trauma, stroke and chest pain accreditations and first-class emergency capabilities, we strive to provide the ideal Emergency Department experience to patients and their families.
Receive Enhanced Quality of Care
Wait Less than 30 Minutes, On Average, to See a Doctor
- The Time-Critical Diagnosis Team provides skilled care for our sickest patients. Emergency Department staffers are specially trained to evaluate trauma, stroke and heart attack patients’ needs quickly and begin treatment.
- Additional nurses, physician assistants and other staff members are available to improve the triage process and increase the quality of care. Six triage beds are available during the busiest periods. An emergency room bed never should be sitting empty while patients are in the waiting room.
- The EMS and Patient Flow Communications Center allows ED staff and doctors to assess and prepare for each patients’ needs before they arrive at the Emergency Department.
- Emergency Department physicians use specially trained scribes, which allow them to spend more quality time at the patient’s bedside.
Communication, Technology are Key Components
- The EMS and Patient Flow Communications Center allows ED staff and doctors to receive EKGs, photos and videos from emergency crews and send them immediately to cardiologists and physicians for viewing on their smartphones.
- Caregivers use the latest technology, including e-fax patient care summaries and secured text messaging, to improve communications with the patient’s primary care physician.
- St. Anthony’s electronic medical records system allows caregivers to access records and charts from outside the hospital system.
- QlikView, a software tool for data analysis, is helping staff to decrease unneeded waits by synchronizing resource scheduling and consolidating data.
Not Critically Ill? Get On the Fast Track!
Patients with non-life-threatening conditions are Fast Tracked to a special triage area in the Emergency Department, where nurses and physician assistants work to speed their treatment and discharge. In the past, if a patient came to the Emergency Department with, for example, ankle pain, treatment might be delayed if another patient suffering a heart attack or trauma from a severe accident arrived at the same time. Now, when patients come with non-life-threatening conditions, they can be confident of receiving prompt and thorough care in the Fast Track suite.
Emergency and Trauma News
- St. Anthony's Among Six Mercy Hospitals Designated STEMI Centers05/15/2018
- Donated AED Saves a Life at St. Simon the Apostle12/19/2017
- Don’t Let Myths Keep You from Protecting Yourself from the Flu12/01/2017
- Choosing between Urgent Care and the Emergency Room09/01/2016
- Be on the Lookout for Ticks in the Warmer Weather06/01/2016