Fish recipes for Lent
16 oz shrimp (fresh or frozen and thawed), deveined and peeled
1 lime, sliced in wedges
4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Crushed red pepper
Fresh ground black pepper
8 yellow corn tortillas (the thinnest ones tend not to crack)
Plain, non-fat Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
Spring mix or lettuce, shredded
1. Place prepared shrimp on a plate.
2. Add olive oil, squeeze lime and lightly sprinkle each of the seasonings.
3. Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
4. Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook, flipping occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.
5. Warm tortilla shells in the microwave for about 10 seconds. Fill the shells with shrimp and top with lettuce, salsa and sour cream.
Suggested accompaniments: Brown rice
Recipe courtesy of Elizabeth Patton, MS, RD, LD, CDE, Outpatient Diabetes and Nutrition Education, St. Anthony's Medical Center.
Check out more great recipes and nutrition advice at the Talk-Diabetes.org blog.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.