Check out this showstopper dessert — using alternatives to reduce fat and calories.
Creamy lemon squares
Makes 16 servings
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-28 minutes
20 Reduced Fat Vanilla Wafers, finely crushed
½ cup flour
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup (1/2 stick) cold margarine
1 pkg. (8 oz) reduced-fat cream cheese
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp flour
3 Tbsp lemon zest, divided
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp baking powder
2 tsp powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Line 8-inch square pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides.
3. Mix wafer crumbs, ½ cup flour and brown sugar in bowl. Cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; press into bottom of prepared pan.
4. Bake 15 minutes.
5. Beat reduced-fat cream cheese and granulated sugar with mixer until blended. Add eggs and 2 Tbsp flour; mix well. Blend in 1 Tbsp lemon zest, lemon juice, and baking powder; pour over crust.
6. Bake 25 to 28 minutes or until center is set. Cool. Refrigerate 2 hours.
7. Sprinkle powdered sugar and remaining lemon zest. Use foil handles to lift dessert from pan before cutting.
Note: For a softer crust, bake crust initially at 350°F for 5 minutes.
Nutritional Analysis per serving:
Calories 50, total fat 2.5gm (saturated fat 1.5 gm), carbohydrates 4gm, protein 4gm, fiber <1gm, sodium 150mg
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.