Check out this showstopper appetizer — using alternatives to reduce fat and calories.
Chicken cordon bleu bundle
Makes 20-22 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 ¼ cup diced ham
½ cup pulled chicken breast
¼ cup diced, low-fat Swiss cheese
You can substitute items of choice in place of ham, chicken and cheese. Examples: black beans, fruit pieces, etc.
1 Tbsp shallots, diced
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1 Tbsp scallions, sliced
1 Tbsp flour
4 sheets of phyllo dough
Vegetable cooking spray or 4 oz melted margarine
4 scallions, blanched
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Mix ham, chicken, cheese, shallots, black pepper, scallions, and flour in a medium-size bowl
3. Mist each phyllo dough sheet with vegetable cooking spray (or brush with margarine)
4. Stack phyllo dough and cut into 4 squares
5. Scoop equal amounts of cordon bleu mixture onto each square
6. Pull corners of dough up and tie closed with scallions creating a bundle
7. Spray outside of bundles with vegetable cooking spray
8. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown
Calories 27, total fat 0.8gm (saturated fat 0.2gm), carbohydrates 0gm, protein 3gm, fiber 0gm, sodium 95mg
Note: This is a great recipe to make in advance of your holiday celebration and freeze.
Aaron McCargo, Jr.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.