Check out this showstopper appetizer — using alternatives to reduce fat and calories.
Chicken cordon bleu bundle
Makes 20-22 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 ¼ cup diced ham
½ cup pulled chicken breast
¼ cup diced, low-fat Swiss cheese
You can substitute items of choice in place of ham, chicken and cheese. Examples: black beans, fruit pieces, etc.
1 Tbsp shallots, diced
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1 Tbsp scallions, sliced
1 Tbsp flour
4 sheets of phyllo dough
Vegetable cooking spray or 4 oz melted margarine
4 scallions, blanched
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Mix ham, chicken, cheese, shallots, black pepper, scallions, and flour in a medium-size bowl
3. Mist each phyllo dough sheet with vegetable cooking spray (or brush with margarine)
4. Stack phyllo dough and cut into 4 squares
5. Scoop equal amounts of cordon bleu mixture onto each square
6. Pull corners of dough up and tie closed with scallions creating a bundle
7. Spray outside of bundles with vegetable cooking spray
8. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown
Calories 27, total fat 0.8gm (saturated fat 0.2gm), carbohydrates 0gm, protein 3gm, fiber 0gm, sodium 95mg
Note: This is a great recipe to make in advance of your holiday celebration and freeze.
Aaron McCargo, Jr.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
At St. Anthony's, our vision is to be the area's premier health care organization
— and your first choice for health care services.