Your shared stories
Your notes from the heart
Heart care extras
Heart care in the news
ideo | udio | ews
Heart & Vascular Institute at St. Anthony's
Cardiac Rehabilitation is an individualized and personalized treatment plan, including evaluation and instruction on physical activity, nutrition, stress management and other health related areas.
Cardiac rehabilitation offers
- Assessment of your personal risk factors for heart and blood vessel disease
- Education and support to make healthy lifestyle changes such as:
- maintaining a healthy weight
- heart healthy eating
- avoiding tobacco and environmental smoke
- Beginning and maintaining a personalized exercise plan that works for you
- Monitoring and better control of:
- blood pressure
- Psychological/stress assessment and counseling
- Opportunity to meet and share stories with other patients like you
- Improved communication with your doctor and other health care providers about your progress following your cardiac event.
Benefits of cardiac rehabilitation
Recent scientific studies have shown that people who complete a cardiac rehabilitation program can increase their life expectancy by up to five years and can reduce their death rate by up to 25 percent during the first years following a heart attack or heart procedure. More benefits include:
- Live longer and lessen your chances for another heart attack
- Control heart disease symptoms such as chest pain or shortness of breath
- Stop or reverse damage to your blood vessels in your heart
- Lessen the physical and emotional effects of heart disease
- Improve your stamina and strength, getting you back to your usual activities, including work, hobbies, and regular exercise
- Improve your confidence and well-being
St. Anthony's cardiac rehabilitation program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation and is under the supervision of a physician.
Cardiac rehab is generally covered by most health insurance companies but check your plan to determine copays or other requirements. If you have one of the following diagnoses you may be eligible to participate:
- heart attack
- coronary artery angioplasty or stents
- open heart surgery such as coronary bypass or valve surgery
- heart failure
- heart transplantation
Phase III Extended Exercise program is a self-pay program for both rehabilitation graduates and new patients who need guidance and supervision to ensure safe exercise.
St. Anthony's cardiac rehabilitation services are located in Suite 105, Physician's Office Center (see map). If you have questions, please call 314-525-4091.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.