Did You Know?
A recent study in the journal "Circulation" found that patients were more likely to live if they were treated in hospitals that have a designated Chest Pain Center.
Heart Care Extras
Heart Care in the News
ideo | udio | ews
Heart Specialty Center
Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention)
St. Anthony’s Medical Center has earned the highest level of accreditation available as a chest pain center.
Chest Pain Center Levels Achieved
- In 2005, St. Anthony’s Medical Center was the first hospital in the St. Louis metropolitan area to be accredited as a Cycle 1 Chest Pain Center by the Society of Chest Pain Centers (SCPC).
- In 2008, St. Anthony’s earned Cycle 2 Accreditation and special recognition for its record 12-minute “door to balloon” time for a heart attack patient. “Door to balloon” is the amount of time that lapses from when the patient enters the Emergency Department to the time the clogged artery is opened. Those minutes determine how much heart muscle tissue is lost. The SCPC recommends a 90-minute or less “door to balloon” time for heart attack patients.
- In 2011, St. Anthony’s earned Cycle 3 Chest Pain Center Accreditation with PCI (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention). More commonly known as angioplasty, PCI is a procedure that helps to open narrowed arteries in the heart either with balloon angioplasty or stents.
Cycle 3 Chest Pain Center Criteria
Cycle 3 accreditation is given to a hospital that uses “best practice” standards, including:
- integration with EMS crews;
- assessing, diagnosing and treating patients with acute heart attacks quickly;
- effectively treating low-risk patients;
- continually seeking to improve processes and procedures; ensuring competence and training of personnel;
- maintaining organizational structure and commitment; and
- having a functional design that promotes optimal patient care, and supporting community outreach programs.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
At St. Anthony's, our vision is to be the area's premier health care organization
— and your first choice for health care services.