Spring clean your medicine cabinet
Proper disposal of expired medication is important for health
Unused portions of medications must be disposed of properly to avoid harm to people, pets, and the water supply. Most should not be flushed down the toilet. Make sure to follow specific disposal instructions on the drug label or product insert. If no disposal instructions are given, follow these steps:
1. Take tablets, pills, and/or capsules out of their original containers and place in a sealable plastic bag.
2. Add liquid medications to the bag.
3. Add a small amount of water.
4. Mix with an undesirable substance such as used coffee grounds, sawdust or cat litter.
5. Place the sealed plastic bag in the regular household trash container.
6. Destroy any personal information printed on labels before tossing your medication containers.
For information, please call our Health Access Line at 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.