Your shared stories
Your notes from the heart
The Cancer Care Center
At St. Anthony’s Cancer Care Center, you will receive personalized care, which may include RapidArc radiotherapy.
Varian’s RapidArc® radiotherapy technology is a form of IMRT (intensity-modulated radiation therapy) with the added benefit of shorter treatment time.
Like in IMRT, the radiation beam is shaped to conform to the shape of the tumor. This allows doctors to aim a higher dose of radiation at the tumor while at the same time avoiding overexposure of the surrounding healthy tissue.
RapidArc® delivers the radiation precisely to the tumor, and does so two to eight times faster than conventional IMRT.
What to expect during RapidArc® treatment:
- The treatment has to be carefully planned. Your doctors use sophisticated imaging scans, including computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and positron emission tomography (PET) to obtain the most accurate 3-D picture of the tumor.
- You need to be immobilized during the treatment. It is crucial to the success of the treatment that the radiation beam hits the precise spot at every treatment, so you will be immobilized with a head or body mold to keep you still.
- The radiation is delivered, and your health care team monitors you constantly to make sure the beams are targeting the correct area.
- As the radiation is delivered, the treatment machine moves around you in a single, continuous rotation.
- The treatment session generally lasts two minutes or less, compared to 15 or 20 minutes for conventional IMRT.
For information about St. Anthony's Cancer Care Center - St. Louis, please call 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.