Your shared stories
Your notes from the heart
The Cancer Care Center
The Cancer Care Center at St. Anthony’s is equipped with state-of-the-art radiation therapy equipment to treat cancer.
3-D conformal radiation therapy
Three-dimensional (3-D) conformal radiation therapy is a sophisticated form of external beam radiation therapy, but in this case, the radiation beams are conformed (shaped) to match your particular tumor. A computer makes a 3-D model of your tumor, which carefully sculpts the radiation beam so it matches the tumor. This technique is especially useful for tumors that are irregularly shaped or very close to healthy tissue and organs.
Advanced cancer imaging
This technique makes radiation therapy even more precise. In any radiation therapy, the radiation beam matches the height and width of the tumor, but the healthy tissue surrounding the tumor is still exposed. With 3-D conformal therapy, doctors use the most advanced imaging studies available to target the tumor precisely while avoiding the healthy tissues.
Because the beam matches the tumor so precisely and spares the surrounding tissue, your doctors can safely use higher, more effective doses of radiation.
What to expect during 3-D conformal radiation therapy:
- You will begin with imaging studies. Using computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or positron emission tomography (PET), a 3-D image is taken of the tumor.
- A computer program analyzes the image.
- The program designs a unique radiation beam to follow the shape of the tumor precisely.
- You receive the radiation treatment; you will most likely be immobilized in a mold to keep you from moving so the radiation hits the target and not the surrounding tissue.
- During the treatment, radiation beams are aimed at you. The beams match the tumor’s height, width and depth exactly.
For information about St. Anthony's Cancer Care Center - St. Louis, please call 314-ANTHONY (268-4669) or 800-554-9550 or visit find a physician online.
Working as trusted partners, the physicians and employees of St. Anthony's Health System will deliver care distinguished by its demonstrated quality and personalized service. We will be visibly engaged in improving the health and well being of the communities we serve in South County and beyond. We will stand together, proud to set the standard for independent community health systems.