Classic Baked Spinach/Artichoke Dip
Makes 28 servings (about 3.5 cups)
Serving size: 2 Tbsp
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
¼ cup reduced-fat, grated parmesan cheese
¼ tsp black pepper
1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 (8-ounce) reduced-fat cream cheese
1 (8-ounce) fat-free cream cheese
1 pkg. (10-ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well-drained
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with vegetable cooking spray.
3. Combine in large bowl, all ingredients (except ½ cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese) save to put on top before baking.
4. Spoon mixture into the prepared dish.
5. Sprinkle reserved ½ cup mozzarella cheese and 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese on top.
6. Bake for 30 minutes.
Nutritional Analysis per 2 Tbsp serving:
Calories 50, total fat 3gm (saturated fat 0.9gm), carbohydrates 2gm, protein 3gm, fiber 0gm, sodium 145mg
Chicken Cordon Bleu Bundle
Makes 20-22 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 ¼ cup diced ham
½ cup pulled chicken breast
¼ cup diced, low-fat Swiss cheese
You can substitute items of choice in place of ham, chicken and cheese. Examples: black beans, fruit pieces, etc.
1 Tbsp shallots, diced
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1 Tbsp scallions, sliced
1 Tbsp flour
4 sheets of phyllo dough
Vegetable cooking spray or 4 oz melted margarine
4 scallions, blanched
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Mix ham, chicken, cheese, shallots, black pepper, scallions, and flour in a medium-size bowl
3. Mist each phyllo dough sheet with vegetable cooking spray (or brush with margarine)
4. Stack phyllo dough and cut into 4 squares
5. Scoop equal amounts of cordon bleu mixture onto each square
6. Pull corners of dough up and tie closed with scallions creating a bundle
7. Spray outside of bundles with vegetable cooking spray
8. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown
Calories 27, total fat 0.8gm (saturated fat 0.2gm), carbohydrates 0gm, protein 3gm, fiber 0gm, sodium 95mg
Note: This is a great recipe to make in advance of your holiday celebration and freeze.
Aaron McCargo, Jr.
Creamy Lemon Squares
Makes 16 servings
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-28 minutes
20 Reduced Fat Vanilla Wafers, finely crushed
½ cup flour
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup (1/2 stick) cold margarine
1 pkg. (8 oz) reduced-fat cream cheese
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp flour
3 Tbsp lemon zest, divided
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp baking powder
2 tsp powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Line 8-inch square pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides.
3. Mix wafer crumbs, ½ cup flour and brown sugar in bowl. Cut in margarine with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; press into bottom of prepared pan.
4. Bake 15 minutes.
5. Beat reduced-fat cream cheese and granulated sugar with mixer until blended. Add eggs and 2 Tbsp flour; mix well. Blend in 1 Tbsp lemon zest, lemon juice, and baking powder; pour over crust.
6. Bake 25 to 28 minutes or until center is set. Cool. Refrigerate 2 hours.
7. Sprinkle powdered sugar and remaining lemon zest. Use foil handles to lift dessert from pan before cutting.
Note: For a softer crust, bake crust initially at 350°F for 5 minutes.
Nutritional Analysis per serving:
Calories 50, total fat 2.5gm (saturated fat 1.5 gm), carbohydrates 4gm, protein 4gm, fiber <1gm, sodium 150mg