St. Anthony’s is among only a few hospitals in the region to offer the AngioVac system, a minimally invasive alternative to open-heart surgery that enables doctors to remove large blood clots from the heart. A team of doctors uses an extra-large tube to remove the clots,while a bypass circuit reinfuses filtered blood back into the body. It has been used since 2013.
The most common use of the AngioVac device is for people with large blood clots in their inferior vena cava, a large vein that carries blood from the lower extremities back into the heart.
Heart and Vascular News
- St. Anthony's Among Six Mercy Hospitals Designated STEMI Centers05/15/2018
- Donated AED Saves a Life at St. Simon the Apostle12/19/2017
- New Minimally Invasive Option to Open Heart Surgery10/24/2017
- Vein Services Earns Re-accreditation10/23/2017
- "U.S. News & World Report" Names St. Anthony’s Among Best in Treating Two Conditions08/08/2017