Hyland Behavioral Health
Score each item from 1 (almost always) to 5 (never), according to how much of the time each statement applies to you.
- I eat at least one hot, balanced meal a day.
- I get seven to eight hours sleep at least 4 nights a week.
- I give and receive affection regularly.
- I have at least one relative within 50 miles on whom I can depend.
- I exercise to the point of perspiration at least twice a week.
- I smoke less than a half pack of cigarettes a day.
- I take fewer than 5 alcoholic drinks a week.
- I am the appropriate weight for my height.
- I have an income adequate to meet basic expenses.
- I get strength from my religious beliefs.
- I regularly attend club or social activities.
- I have a network of friends and acquaintances.
- I have one or more friends to confide in about personal matters.
- I am in good health (including eyesight, hearing, teeth.)
- I am able to speak openly about my feelings when angry or worried.
- I have regular conversations with the people I live with about domestic problems, i.e., chores, money and daily living issues.
- I do something for fun at least once a week.
- I am able to organize my time effectively.
- I drink fewer than three cups of coffee (or tea or cola drinks) a day.
- I take quiet time for myself during the day.
Add your total and subtract 20. Any number over 30 indicates a vulnerability to stress. You are seriously vulnerable if your score is between 50 and 75, and extremely vulnerable if it is over 75.
If your score is of concern to you, you may want to consider joining a group through the Hyland Behavioral Health Counseling Clinic 314-525-1400, or try the stress relief exercises recommended by Hyland Behavioral Health. The exercises are available to download.
(Taken from "Stress Audit" by Lyle Miller, PhD., and Alma Dell Smith, PhD., Boston University Medical Center, 1983, Biobehavioral Associates.)